Irritation of the bladder and urinary incontinence is a very common problem, but that does not mean it needs to be your norm! There are many factors that can affect incontinence. Certain foods and drinks can irritate the urinary system and exacerbate your symptoms.
Be mindful when making beverage and meal choices:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Citrus foods and drink (this includes cranberry juice)
- Caffeine (soda, some teas, and coffee)
- Artificial sweeteners
- Spicy food
- Processed foods
- Raw onions
- Acidic foods
- Carbonated beverages
Don’t, worry you won’t starve! Here are alternatives:
- Low acid fruits such as pears, watermelon, apricots, blueberries, and bananas
- Coffee substitutes such as cold brew coffee, KAVA (low acid instant coffee), and Pero (coffee flavored alternative)
- Sun brewed tea and non-citrus herbal tea
- Cooked onions
- Reduced acid juices
- White chocolate
Don’t panic, this is just a guideline! Everyone’s body reacts different to each food. Use trial and error to determine which foods increase your incontinence symptoms the most.
Remember, it’s all about moderation! If you are someone who can’t live without coffee, try to stick with one cup and avoid before a long ride or outing where there may not be restroom.
Ashley Spangler, MS, OTR/L
Outpatient Therapy Services Team Leader
Tel Hai Retirement Community